Friday, April 1, 2011

CLOCK KNOCK OFF

Pottery Barn

BIG clocks are in and I love them, I just can't afford them.
Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn

Restoration Hardware
I have become a pallet fanatic!! And what does my husband say "another one!" I don't think I could ever have enough scrap wood and after making this clock, I've started hitting up the construction sites for more..LOL  I scored when I pulled this one out the dumpster, no bottom slats! So the planks came off in SOLID pieces.

I have had this idea in my head for a while now, but haven't come across the right size of wood. 
I had a Restoration Hardware catalog on hand and fell in LOVE with there 5' replica of a clock in Paris.
Restoration Hardware

Restoration Hardware

How much is this Clock??  Try $1,495!!!
Non-working might I add.
NEVER...but I could make one :)

My pallet, pulled apart


Line up all your pieces and attach them all together on the back side. I used hurricane straps, inexpensive but flimsy. So I added a plank right down the center, it was now sturdy.

This photo was taken after I cut it, I forgot to take one before.

 The cutting process:
I found the center point by measuring both sides; finding the half way point each direction, mark with an "X"
I used a tack or you could use a nail, place it in the center, tie string from the tack to the pencil, with the desired width and draw around the whole piece.

I forgot to take photo's of this, so I'm showing an example on a smaller scale.
sorry for the bad photo

sorry for the bad photo



Cut it out with your jig-saw and sand it down, getting off any sharp edges.

Prime and paint

 I used what paint I had on hand. Base - gray, dry brushed black on in long strokes. I did a criss-cross motion around the edges to get a darker, worn look.



 I always keep crappy brushes on hand for this technique. In a circular motion, blend in the edges till you get your desired look.

 I then added a "creamy yellow" color over the top in some places.

I printed out Roman Numerals on "Word," cut them out and traced them onto the wood.
this is an example of the roman numerals, you would trace these on top of your painted clock
This was all done free hand, so I didn't come up with some formula.  I did find that the easiest way to lay it out was to do your "four points" 1,3,6, and 9 o'clock. Make the rest fit best between those points if that helps at all.
Font:
Baskerville
Words:
Franklin Extra Cond Gothic

NOW
Notice anything??
Yes...I painted the words on UPSIDE DOWN!!
Here we go...turpentine and some sanding.
I used some "T hinges" for the clock hands that I had from building a barn three years ago. I like the "chunkiness" (if that's a word) of them.
My "Hinges" are now placed wrong, so I might be pulling them off.
All Fixed UP!!!
Mine has a 36" diameter...BIG and I LOVE IT!! 
COST...$3.78 for the mending plates in the back!! I had all the paint, free pallet, and hinges. 
I still need to hang it. It's quite heavy so I will let the hubby put this one up : )

This room is a "work in progress." I want to re-finish the fish tank base and I need to refinish my French chairs. There is A LOT of black paint on them, so I've been putting it off....  

Just think of all the possibilities with this. Put your wedding date on it or family name.
I can't wait to make more of them!

UPDATE: you can find another pallet clock HERE.
~ Desiree ~

Linking To:

DIY ClubFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



Tip Junkie handmade projects





The DIY Show Off











The Lettered CottageDesigner Garden








27 comments:

  1. Outstanding Job!!!!I'm in love with it and can see myself making one real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT is outstanding! you did an excellent job, what a great idea! It looks like it came out of an old building and is very old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweeeet!!
    Great job.
    Love big clocks too.

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such a thing for clocks too! This turned out amazing!! I have done this with a small table top...but yours takes the cake! LOVE IT:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with those big clocks too. But at those prices it wasn't gonna happen. This is a great tutorial,now I may own a big clock after all. I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Em Gee! This is freakin AMAZING! I would love to have you share this at my VIP today or tomorrow. I really want to highlight this at the coming weeks party. I love the pen and string technique, genious! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. The clock is fabulous! What a great job you did and for such a small cost. Love it!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG this is just AMAZING-what a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your clock looks amazing! Incredible job with your knockoff! Love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very cool! I've been wondering what project I could make with pallets and my new jigsaw... You did a wonderful job :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME! I love clocks and yours is just as beautiful as the ones in all of your inspiration pictures...I am so k=jealous, I want one!

    www.kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever! What a great project!
    Michael
    http://bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous, Desiree! My favorite DIY is making a knock off of an expensive inspiration! You did a fantastic job!

    Just a head's up - I hope you don't mind I just published a highlight and you're featured! :) Thank you so much for sharing your creativity in the DIY Project Parade!

    Have a great weekend!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love what uou have done with the clock, i prefer it to the origional (still feel a little faint at the price tag) yours a much prefered finish I love it

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE IT... Just wrote down directions-so I can attempt it..just love it..
    You did great
    YOUR newest Inspired Follower
    Karryann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Pretty cool, you have some skills! I found you at Designer Gardens, and saw that you were featured. Good job! I'm a new follower on Google and FB.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a brilliant idea! You did a fantastic tutorial as well :).

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow... wow.... wowwww!!!!!!!!! i love it!!!

    it seriously took me like 5 minutes to figure out what was wrong!!!! haha =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is gorgeous. I have been coveting that clock since I first saw it! I love this tutorial so much. Thank you for sharing it. I love how you added your "oops" too. Shows that bloggers are real people and it is so something that I would do. Thanks for the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fabulous! Thank you for sharing your talents.
    Love your pallet obsession - and following you to see how obsessed you are.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is AMAZING...I love it, great job

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok.....NOW I get it!!! Thanks for the great tutorial, Desiree! It turned out beautiful! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a great pallet....!!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  23. great job on the clock love the hands you used!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job, I love it!! And doesn't look that difficult. Thanks, I'm pinning!
    Saw you sharing at Funky Junk Interiors SNS
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. neat idea....might want to check your roman numeral 4.....I think it is written....."IV"

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments!

Follow Me On Instagram

amazon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...