Sunday, January 14, 2018

China Cabinet Makeover

A good makeover never gets old! We recently inherited my husbands Grandmother's china cabinet and dining room table with chairs. I haven't decided what color to refinish the table set in yet but I knew exactly how I wanted to redo the china cabinet! The before is really heavy and dark looking. If you haven't used Fusion Mineral Paint, you should! It has become my go to paint! Easy to use, great color selection, no priming necessary and it has a top coat built into the paint, so you don't have to seal it! One less step is always a good thing. I do recommend on higher traffic pieces you might want to add wax or a poly. 

I was planning on priming the hutch first since the wood is so dark and I was afraid of the wood bleeding through but I took a chance and painted a section to see if it was going to bleed through the paint. Nope! I wanted a chippy look to it and since the finish on the hutch was shinny/slick when I started sanding it the paint came off in larger sections & I LOVE it!






This is the before. Dark and heavy looking but has good bones!





I used Fusion Mineral Paint in Champlain for the body and Rust-Oleum in Serenity Blue for the back wall.





It took 3 coats to cover completely and I started sanding it a couple hours after the paint dried so it would be easier to sand in a chippy look. I used a coarse grade, 120 grit sanding disk since already have a lot of them for my sander. Using pressure with one finger in the areas I wanted to chip away. After you have your desired look, go over it with a fine (220 grit) sanding block to get a smooth finish. 



Zibra Paint Brush's makes a round spindle brush that was perfect for the little window panes. It hugs all of the edges and covers in two stokes!










To keep with the rustic feel of this makeover I decided to do a very soft dry brush over the blue with the same color of the body of the china cabinet. You can see the difference in the top photo. The upper shelf area doesn't have the dry brush or distressing.




I painted over the hinges and distressed them. It gives a soft look with the hardware just blending in with the piece. 



















I couldn't be any happier with this makeover! I'm on the hunt for an affordable chandelier and rug now! I'm thinking I want to go with a natural wood toned chandelier. Onto the next makeover!



Linking To:


1 comment:

  1. What a great tutorial and post! Your china cabinet is to die for!!! I'm always looking for an old one on Craigslist and you inspired me to continue this mission. Thanks so much for joining our Friday Friends Parade Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments!

Follow Me On Instagram

amazon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...