Sunday, January 7, 2018

DIY Topiary

Firs blog post of 2018! With Christmas over and Spring on its way I'm bringing more greenery into our home. These faux topiaries are great to use year round though! I can't take credit for this amazing idea, Natalie at The Vintage Porch made these faux topiaries with Christmas evergreens and when the stems went on sale at Hobby Lobby I purchased all that they had left for a $1 each!

It took about 2 1/2-3 stems to make the top part of the topiary. I just cut a branch off of our hedge in the backyard for the stem and I had white foam balls from the Dollar Tree, they sell 2 in a package for a $1!  






You can buy green foam balls but since I already had white I just painted it green with some chalk paint. I pocked a chopstick into the ball to hold it and paint. Let it dry and pull the chopstick out.





You will pull all of the little leaf branches off of the whole stem. 




Some are shorter than the others and I used the shorter ones for the under/bottom side of the ball. You can see in the picture below how the leaves are shorter around the bottom.






Once I had most of the stems pushed into the foam ball, I pushed the branch into the ball and finished filling the spaces in with the evergreen leaves. 






I shoved the base of the branch into foam bricks that I had from one of those Edible Arrangement fruit baskets! Free! I covered the bright green up with some scrap pieces of burlap and tied jute twine around the base of the branch to gather all of the burlap to the branch and placed into an olive bucket from Hobby Lobby. 








This project was so easy and cost maybe $8-$10!! If you have ever been topiary shopping they are WAY more than $10! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments!

Follow Me On Instagram

amazon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...